The Drive To HappinessWednesday, Jul. 3, 2019
Spoiler Alert! I am going to tell you the kind of car I drive. It is an electric vehicle. It is the best car I have ever owned! I live in Los Angeles so for the obvious reason – traffic – I don’t love driving anymore. But I do love driving my electric car. Whenever I have to drive an internal combustion car, I feel I just went technologically back 100 years.
My car is so smooth. It is ultra quiet. It is very fast. The acceleration can be measured in G-forces! And I never have to stop at a gas station again. What a joy it is to drive by them.
Now I know that an electric car can be more expensive but that is beginning to change. There are more and more choices out there all the time. And so far, there still is a federal tax credit and maybe you live in a state that gives one too.
Some of the popular electric vehicles are Hyundai Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric, Volvo all-electric XC40, Audi e-tron, Fiat 500e, Honda Clarity Electric, Mini Electric, BMW i3, Volkswagon e-Golf, Nissan Leaf and Leaf Plus, Porsche Taycan, Kia Niro EV and Soul EV, Chevrolet Bolt, Jaguar I-Pace and the Teslas S, X and 3. Many more are coming in 2020. And an increasing number of charging stations are being installed, often by Electrify America.
There are many good reason to go electric. The following list was provided online by Ergon Energy’s “Benefits of Electric Vehicles” 2019:
- They are cheaper to run. The electricity needed about 1/3 the cost of buying gas
- There are less moving parts so there is less servicing. You just have to take care of the tires, the suspension and the brakes.
- EVs have important safety features such a lower center of gravity. That makes them less likely to roll over. The body construction may make them safer in a collision. And there is a lower risk of fires or explosions.
- More and more electricity is coming from renewable resources so driving electric helps make us less dependent on foreign oil.
- And finally, the big one! An electric vehicle is better for the environment and for our health. There is no exhaust emissions and that means less carbon in the air, better air quality and less impact on global warming.
I believe we all will be driving an EV eventually, but why wait. Do yourself and the earth a favor now.